Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Little Peace

With Connor still away on vacation and the twins away at their first full week of preschool, I've had three whole hours to myself each day this week. Three hours of complete peace and quiet. You have no idea how nice that's been or how much I needed the break.

Summer vacation has been fun, but it also means that the kids and I spend all day every day together, except for the few nights and weekends I sneak away to work (and those don't count as free time, though they are a nice little break, too). Just think of it. All day, starting around 8 a.m. (earlier for boys, of course, but I won't let them up before that hour), with no naps, lots of potty sessions and drinks and meals and snacks, and virtually always at least one little person hovering at my feet wanting me to do something. And it goes on like that until usually 8 at night.

Three whole hours. Of course, I did spend the first two days getting some things off my to-do list. I've been putting office paper work off all summer long, so I had three months worth of receipts and statements to enter and reconcile. It took five hours. I spent that other hour running to the grocery, enjoying the total peace of shopping without anyone tagging along.

Today was the first day I took an actual break. I did throw in a few extra loads of laundry, but that only takes a few minutes here and there. I sat down and watched a movie, start to finish and without interruptions. In total peace. In the middle of the afternoon.

I didn't even let the puppy in, because let's be honest, he's sometimes the neediest child of all. I didn't want those pitiful eyes looking up at me begging for a walk, knowing that it's hot and humid outside and neither one of us would enjoy it anyway. Tonight, after work when it's dark and cool, I promise.

Now, I have two days left of total peace. I haven't decided about those yet, but I do know that they're not going to involve work of any kind. That's why I spent the first two days working, so I could enjoy the end of the week without it hanging over my head.

And then next week Connor returns from vacation, we have his preschool orientation and then he starts preschool the following week, after Labor Day. Then my freedom gets cut back to about an hour a day three days a week, when the school schedules overlap. The rest of the time I'm just driving the boys to and from their respective schools.

But we'll not think about that. Not yet anyway. I still have two more days all to myself!