Monday, July 27, 2009

Is It Hot in Here?

It couldn't have happened a few weeks ago, say when we were enjoying below average temperatures and extremely low humidity. No, of course not. The air conditioning waited until Saturday afternoon to decide to stop working. We have dual units, and, of course, the one that cools where we sleep was the one to stop working.

And it couldn't have happened Saturday morning, mind you, when my good husband (the builder) could have contacted his service guys and gotten someone to come over and take a look. Nope. Saturday afternoon. After business hours. So we had to wait until today to call.

Two whole nights. With no air conditioning. The upstairs thermometer read 82 degrees the first night and 85 degrees the second night. And that's where I drew the line. I slept downstairs, where there was still air conditioning, on the couch.

The poor kids were miserable. Xander the most, because he's the unlucky child with no ceiling fan in his bedroom. His room was the guest room, in the back corner of the house, and the sloped ceiling made it impossible to put one in when we were building. We kind of thought the giant room that is Sawyer's bedroom would be the one they shared as long as we lived in this house. That was before the sleep issues.

But, I digress. Hot kids and restless nights is where I began. It was hot and sticky, even with the windows open. The two youngest ones sweat with even the slightest level of heat or activity. Connor is not much better. And the windows open added a whole other issue, of sounds that might wake them up either during the night or earlier than usual (heaven help us). It also added the worry of them playing with the windows and pushing on the screens from their second story rooms, so we couldn't open them until after they'd fallen asleep and we did have to get up with them on their terms. It was not a fun couple of nights.

The good news is the air conditioning has been restored (bad bearings in the fan motor, if you were wondering). And it's now cool enough that you can sleep without having wet sheets, thank goodness.

It also means I won't be awakened tomorrow morning by three little boys charging down the stairs at 6:45 a.m. ready to start the day and jumping all over me while I try to hide from the day for another hour, at least. Because that's how I started my day today. Being bounced on before 7 a.m.