Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

For the first time in a really long time, as far back as I can remember even, I spent the fourth of July somewhere other than the lake. I was working. And, given the weather we ended up having (it's still raining), it really didn't bother me as much as I thought it might.

What was bad, was thinking that I was scheduled to work my usual 1 to 9 afternoon shift and then being called at 10:15 by the manager, who by now realizes I'm quite punctual and usually 10 minutes early, and being asked, "Did I not tell you that we're only open 10 to 6 today and that was your shift?"

Um, no. No you didn't.

So there I was, maybe an hour out of bed, having just helped Josh get the kids off on their Saturday adventure to the "TEA" party in a nearby city with Pappy and cousins Jason and Kaden. I was wearing a pair of shorts and a tank top, hair pulled back in a rough pony tail, and getting ready to take the puppy on a walk (he was not at all happy about the unexpected turn of events either). I wasn't exactly dressed for work or even remotely ready to be. So I hung up the phone, rushed around and managed to make myself presentable and get there by 10:45, which was not bad considering what I started with.

Two valuable lessons learned. One, ask about holiday hours rather than just wonder to yourself who in the world they think is going to come in and buy furniture at 9 o'clock on the fourth of July, even if there is a big sale going on. And more importantly, actually check your phone every night before you go to bed for messages. There was one on there from my manager from yesterday afternoon, which I'd never heard. With school out and potty training in full force, I don't really have much use for my phone right now. So it sat on the counter, rang and answered, while we were out in the yard yesterday afternoon. And I never even thought to look at it. That's lesson number two.

So, I'll spend the holiday working this year and then pack the kids up for a few days next week and visit Grandma and Grandpa at the lake on my days off. It's not bad really. It just means less traffic on the trip and fewer boats to wait behind on the ramp, which are actually good things. But I must say, it doesn't quite feel like the fourth without steaks on the grill (we had ours last night, since I thought I'd be working late tonight) and a boat on the water!

Hope that everyone is enjoying their fourth, however they choose to celebrate it!