Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Day That Was

It started early, of course. Josh got the boys up when he left around 7 a.m. I came down an hour or so later, after having chased Sawyer off the steps three different times, finally putting him back in his room.

You see, the twins have broken down our last child safety defense in the last few weeks. The baby gates are merely stepping stones into the places that were once off limits. So now they love to play inside the office and especially on the steps. So after catching Sawyer there the third time in less than 20 minutes while I was trying to catch that last hour of sleep, I simply put him back in his room, which he cannot get out of on his own. Clearly he wanted to be upstairs, right? That's what I thought.

At some point we got the phone call with details about Connor's first ever birthday party to attend. Ours had gotten lost in the mail and we weren't sure what time or where, we just knew it was sometime Tuesday afternoon. It was at 11:30, yesterday morning! We had two hours to get everyone dressed, fed and there (about 20 minutes away).

We also still needed the birthday boy's present. You see, I had planned on getting that Monday night. I was going to take Connor out after Josh got home from work, because he loves those kinds of trips and I had to work both nights this weekend. But one of the girls I work with called Sunday night and wanted to trade nights, so I ended up working Monday night, too. That left Tuesday morning, the day of the party. Which was, of course, before I knew the party actually was that morning!

So we had breakfast, got everyone dressed and presentable, made our final potty and were on our way. I took all of them into the store. Without the stroller. That was an adventure, let me tell you. They loved the toy section and kept trying to persuade me we needed even more balls to play with. I declined. We picked what I hope was a fun toy for the birthday boy and were on our way again. We caught up with and followed two other moms out to the party, just in time.

We spent a few hours at the party. Then we came back to the house and got the little guys some lunch, since they were not interested in a normal kid fare from the party. Then we went out on the deck for a few hours in the pool, hoping the water would wash off some of the dirt and grime from the two-hour outdoor party.

Then we came inside to clean up. Connor and I needed showers before our second event of the day, the second meeting of the "Book Club for Boys." Then we fixed everyone dinner. And we changed Connor's clothes again, because he dropped his dinner raviolis all down the front of his clean shirt. And then we called Daddy, who had forgotten that he was keeping the twins while we went to the book club meeting. He made it home, and we quickly took off. We got there about five minutes late, but we made it.

We spent a few hours at the book club, enjoying the meeting and the company. And then we made our way home well past Connor's usual bed time. Especially when Mommy realized the library was still open and we could swing in there. We hadn't been since school was out back in May, because I am still not quite brave enough to take all three boys there by myself (and the stroller will not fit).

After picking out our books and looking at the flip-up books he loves for a while, we eventually made it home and got Connor cleaned up once again and ready for bed. And we, of course, picked the longest library book he got (yet another Curious George) and had to read that before bed time. I left his room around 10 p.m.

And then I fell into bed shortly thereafter.

Busy. Fun. Exhausting. And that is the day that was.