Our goal this summer, though we have no idea how remotely achievable it might be, is to potty train the twins. I say this with absolutely no enthusiasm or expectations. They're three and a half, and have so far shown absolutely no willingness or readiness for the event.
We're adopting the old sink or swim method, where you jump all in (during the day only, because I am not that crazy). We plan to try it for a few weeks and see how it goes, so we are officially pull-up free at the moment. We will probably amend that for any time we leave the house, though I am going to try to keep them home for the most part to work on the process.
Today was the first day. It held some valuable lessons.
First, we don't have nearly enough pairs of underwear in their size. Would you like to know how many pair of underwear found themselves soaking in the laundry room sink? Twelve. This would be due, in large part, to the fact that Xander feels the need to relieve himself in small bursts approximately every 20 minutes, usually within five minutes after you've had him on the potty "trying" to go.
Second, Josh and I need to find a lot of reading material to keep us company. Would you like to know how many minutes both of us spent, often simultaneously in separate bathrooms, keeping a fidgeting toddler on the potty? I honestly didn't keep track, but let's do some basic math. We're taking both of them to sit on the potty every 45 minutes for the 12 hours a day that they're awake. It takes about 15 minutes for each "try" on the potty. Roughly translated, we're in the bathroom with someone for 30 minutes at a time with maybe 15 minute breaks between tries. All. Day. Long.
And I won't even mention the entire roll of paper towels, the nearly empty container of Clorox wipes or the amount of upholstery cleaner that was used on the couch and the leather chair in a single day. Or the number of times I found someone standing over an HVAC register as they were going potty. That might discourage people from coming over to visit.
It was the first day, after all. Surely it will get better, right? . . . . Right?