Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Small Slice of Heaven



How can you not enjoy a day like this one? Bright sunshine. Cloudless blue skies. Warm, but not too hot. Perfection (even if my photography does not quite capture it).

Two of my boys are in school for a few hours. My husband was nice enough to take the other one with him to work today (he builds houses, so Connor is probably once again playing in the dirt or merely happy to be sitting in the front seat of Daddy's truck like a big boy, sipping on Gatorade and running countless errands).

And that left me here, alone in my own house for the first time in what feels like forever, for nearly three hours! I did one dutiful thing and took the big puppy for his daily walk (much easier and more pleasant without a particular preschooler complaining he's tired every five steps).

And then I did absolutely nothing.

I took the new Entertainment Weekly out on the deck, propped my feet up on another deck chair, soaked in some sun and read the magazine cover to cover without a single interruption (Buster pushing on me to find what precious little shade there is under the table does not count).

Now I'm going to grab some lunch before my husband returns with all three kids. Maybe having car trouble every once in a while isn't so bad after all. Or perhaps this is just my early birthday present from my husband? The calendar rolls over another year on Thursday. Whatever it is, I'll take it.

Here's hoping you're enjoying your afternoon and getting to enjoy some of this great weather!