Friday, May 8, 2009

Cookie Monster



Though we didn't manage to get his picture pinching at the cookies on the baking sheet (before they were even cooked), we did get pictures of him anxiously waiting by the oven. Mommy had to guard the oven door to keep him from pulling it open every few seconds for a peek and a sniff.



And not to worry, they had already cooled before we let him actually reach his hands up there for a bite. Josh gave him one at this stage.



But one was not enough. As I was putting the next batch into the oven, I turned around and found this. He climbed up on top of the trash can that sits at the end of the bar and was helping himself to yet another cookie (this would make three, counting the first one that Josh gave to him and another one that I let him have at the table).



Mmm. Best cookies ever, he says.



Still munching. Our little cookie monster.

It's funny how most of the time he grabs your hands and gets you to reach something for him. But with these cookies, he just dives right in himself. Perhaps he's worried you will want to share. I still say that with Sawyer, it all comes down to whether or not he wants to do something. It's not can he do it, but will he do it.

If there's a cookie involved, the answer is yes. Absolutely.

The cookies were actually a treat for Josh's parents, who had offered to come over and watch the boys tonight so we could have a night out. Unfortunately, that's not to be. Connor has decided he doesn't feel well - a fever, lack of appetite, lots of sleeping and general pitifulness which probably means a virus. We didn't want to run the risk of getting either of them sick this weekend, so we called and cancelled.

We did at least get to offer a few to Xander's teachers, who had enjoyed them a few weeks ago when I took some into school. We're not above bribing teachers with treats, not at all. Actually, we just like to make people smile and those cookies are definitely good for that. A big thanks to Julie, whose blog I follow, for sharing her great recipe online! They're exceptionally easy to make (trust me, I don't bake unless it's from a box). And Sawyer promises you'll love them!