Tonight was a first. Connor and I simultaneously packed our respective bags. We're both leaving for the weekend, but we're headed in different directions.
Spring Break is here, which means all the kids are out of school after tomorrow for a whole week. And like any other period of time where Connor doesn't have school (you know, the kind you pay for), he has plans. Big plans. And so do I. That leaves Josh and the little guys at home to fend for themselves for a few days.
Grandma and Grandpa are coming up tomorrow for Connor. He will go back and spend a few days at the lake with them, and then they will all go off on another mountain adventure early next week. And do you want to know the first thing my son said, when he heard about the mountain part (a recently added bonus to the overall trip)?
I had casually mentioned he was going to take his life jacket on this trip - he's been asking for weeks about taking it to the lake. You see, he's ready to go boating again. He cannot stop talking about Grandpa's boat in the basement (which is also their garage). It's not quite that warm in our part of the world yet, but there will be a pool in the mountains. So I told him he would get to go swimming at the pool. And what was his response?
"No, not the pool. Not yet. I ride race cars first! Go really fast!"
Ah, yes. We must have our priorities. And for him, the mountains means several things. Race cars, obviously. Swimming pools. Playgrounds. Popcorn and coke. Full, undivided attention and play buddies in Grandma and Grandpa. Trolley rides. Good times, essentially. And I'm sure Grandma and Grandpa will be accommodating. He can be sweet and charming when he wants to be, after all, and he's a grandson. You're supposed to spoil them, right? So that's Connor's adventure.
My adventure just happens to fall at the same time. It is that blessed and rare opportunity to have a weekend away. All by myself. I'm going to visit my old college roommate, Haley, and her family for the weekend. I have a six hour drive both ways that will include listening to music of my choice and that other rare thing in my life - silence. I cannot wait.
So our bags are all packed and neither one of us is going to sleep well tonight. We're too excited!