"It's share time!" he says, very forcefully and exaggerating the "share" part of it. "No tell me hush, time to talk, it's share time!"
Somehow, some way, he's using "share time" from school - where the kids bring in an item to talk about during circle time every day - to justify his need for non-stop talking. I don't even want to know how the connection was made. Perhaps because he's not nearly as talkative at school as he is at home. Or perhaps because he's asked and expected to talk at that time.
In passing, I once asked his teacher if she had trouble keeping him quiet during class, thinking this might be an area where he would need work. She stared at me blankly, as if I had said something so completely ridiculous she wasn't sure she heard me correctly. She recovered, then told me that they didn't have that problem with him, that he actually had to be prompted into talking. Prompted! This from the boy who never, ever stops talking at home, or in the car, or in the grocery or anywhere except school, apparently.
And don't think that I don't see the irony. I absolutely do. One child who talks as though it's more essential than breathing. Two who are completely uninterested in talking (at least with words). One child who we constantly beg for just a few minutes of peace, only to hear things like this . . .
"No tell me hush, time to talk, it's share time!"
And two who we would give almost anything to hear words from.
Not a lot, mind you. Just a few, every once in a while, that would be nice.