It's been a rough week for our two little school boys (and for Mommy)! Today is the second day I opted to keep them home this week, not counting the days they came home early (which would mean four incomplete days out of five).
This morning, they slept in until after 9 a.m. again, and Xander was dragging even after coming downstairs at that late hour. They eventually both started snacking and playing, almost as though it was just too early to be awake. Xander still has a cough, but otherwise both seemed well.
But I decided better safe than sorry. Why not give them the weekend and see if they can get rid of their lingering colds once and for all and just start fresh. It has to be better than having them at school being miserable and making everyone around them miserable, too.
I only worry about what this week has done to them and hope that it hasn't taught them the lesson that if you complain loud and long enough, you can go home. Xander has fought school from the beginning, only recently settling into a pretty decent routine. Will this week set him back? Sawyer has been absolutely loving it once he got used to being dropped off, eager and excited when I tell them it's time to go in the mornings. Will that excitement come back any time soon, or at all? Who knows.
I do know that they have not particularly enjoyed their day at home today. Let's just say it involved several things that they're not fond of - liking trimming their hair, cutting their nails (fingers and toes), and cleaning their ears - all things that require a lot of restraints in order to be accomplished. Once I saw that they were eating and playing just like normal, I decided why not. It needed to be done, and maybe, just maybe, they would think going back to school might not be all that bad.
Good times.