Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I'll Get It

The other day, I was taking some trash (meaning dirty diapers) out to the trash container in our driveway. It takes less than a minute, but that was long enough apparently. Josh just happened to call while I was outside, and I didn't hear the phone ring.

When I came back in, there stood my four-year old in the middle of our disaster of a living room - you know, couch cushions all on the floor, pillows thrown everywhere, and toys as far as the eye can see - and he was "talking" on the phone. Not the play phone, but the real one. I heard things like . . .

"I talking to Daddy. Yes, yes. I know. That's right. Ha, ha, ha. Okay, then. (Random jabber that made no sense). Mommy's not here. Yeah, I see you later. Bye!"

My first thought was "How cute is he," having a pretend conversation that makes quite a bit of sense (minus that middle part of jabber). My second thought was "Why does he have the real phone" because I know that he knows better and he's never really tried to play with it before.

I walked over and held out my hand, explaining that we do not play with the real phone, and he quietly and obediently handed it over (which surprised me). I looked down and noticed that he had, indeed, pushed the talk button because the timer was still counting. I clicked "End" and set it back on the base.

Before I had taken two steps away, the phone started ringing.

I thought, "Oh, no, who has he called and what has he done now?"

Turns out he was not playing with the telephone, he was merely answering it because it rang and Mommy was not there to get it.

"Is Connor your new secretary?" my husband wanted to know. It seems he had actually been talking to Daddy, not just having that pretend conversation I imagined, and I had hung up on him without bothering to check! Oops.

So, do we see why our front door has a key deadbolt on the inside? My four-year old is a bit too friendly. He opens up doors, answers phones and just starts chatting away!

So, if you call our house, you have been warned. If a small voice starts saying random things, you might want to hang up and call back later! Asking to talk to Mommy won't help, according to Josh.