Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pajama Party



Look who's wearing non-footed pajamas to school on pajama day (and cheese-ing for his picture - the grin reminds me of some of his Daddy's early pictures)!

So I caved to the pressure. I couldn't stand the idea that he might be the only one in footed-pajamas, so while out meeting with my client yesterday morning, I made a side trip on the way home. Kohl's - one of my favorites for the boys' clothes - always has sales going on. And with the new spring lines coming out, I suspected the winter items would be on clearance. I paid all of $8 plus tax for these Carter's non-footed pajamas. So worth it. I won't mention that Josh simply rolled his eyes and said something about already having five good pair of pajamas (four actually, but who's counting). He knew it was inevitable.

Connor was excited, as usual, when I came home with something new. He doesn't care what it is, he always likes it (and always expects it to be for him).

"For me?" he asks, taking the bag from my hand and pulling things out before he even hears my response. "They're so pretty!" he adds, not even having time to see what's in the bag.

"Yes, baby," I say, "They're for you - new pajamas for your party at school on Thursday."

"Oh," he says, the word drug out with excitement, as though he understands. "I take my pillow and blanket and bed and new 'jamas to school! I like that! They're so pretty!" He was especially excited about the fire truck theme, which is his personal favorite at the moment.

But really, the pajamas were more about Mommy than him. I imagine he could have cared less one way or the other. He's not really one to be bothered by what he likes or how others perceive it. He often wears the same outfit to school both days in the week - because he wants to and Mommy tends to do laundry every single day (it's easier, trust me). I used to laugh at one of the little girls I babysat growing up, who always insisted on wearing the same dress every single day. I swore I would never be that parent. I usually try to encourage a different outfit, but if he's determined, I let it go. Choose your battles wisely, right? If it's clean, does it really matter that he's already worn it that week to school?

But, I digress. So, off to school he went. Happy in his new pajamas and ready to face the day. Josh dropped him off, so I'm not sure what the other kids were wearing. When I picked him up, they were, of course, all bundled up in winter coats and boots (which may or may not have hidden some footed pajamas). I did see one little boy in the short-sleeve Thomas pajamas that Connor has and that I considered sending him in with a long sleeve t-shirt underneath. You know, because clearly this was such a big deal. Silly Mommy.

At any rate, who wouldn't want to spend today in their pajamas, footed or not, because it's all of 9 degrees outside. It's supposed to fall below 0 tonight, so I guess it's a good thing we do have those footed pajamas after all!