Monday, December 22, 2008

Too Much?

There was a time when I could put up each cute new phrase or thing Connor was doing. That time has long passed, as he comes up with something new practically every day. I will share with you one that I think is really cute and that he does on a regular basis these days.

Here lately, he's been grappling with the concepts of time and measurement. So today in the car as we're running errands for Mommy's freelance job, he's talking (as usual) a mile a minute. We pass the interstate, and he of course points out that it goes to Grandpa's house at the lake (south) and Grammy's house (north). And yes, if you're wondering, he always knows which one is which way, which is a whole other story!

We've slowly been talking about our upcoming trip to the beach, letting him know it was still a ways off but also preparing him for the fact that it would be soon after Christmas. Today he pointed south on the interstate and matter-of-factly told me,

"That's the way to the beach. We put carry-it (his word for our luggage carrier) on top of Mommy's truck, put in beach towels and shovel, and go that way to the beach."

"Yes, baby, that's right. We'll go soon." (And love how he has his priorities in order about what to pack!)

"When?" he wanted to know.

"In five days," I tell him, counting on my fingers to make sure I'm right. If I'm not, he will most certainly call me on it on that fifth day. I'm right, we leave Saturday which is five days away.

"We drive a little bit or too much?" he asks, in the only two measurements he knows. Everything we talk about lately is in those terms. Food items, how long until the next day of school, how much longer is left in a television show or movie, and, yes, how far we're driving in the car. There doesn't appear to be a "just enough" category, as far as he's concerned.

"It's a long way away, baby," I tell him. "We'll be in the car all day."

"It's way far away," he says, satisfied that he understands. "We drive too much then."

I'm sure he'll really think "too much" after 12 hours in the car! I know I will. Did I mention that the child never stops talking, ever? Because he really doesn't.