Saturday, December 20, 2008

Taste & Smell

Let's just say that I really hope that our twins never get very sick. Because if they do, I have no idea how we're going to get them to take the medicine. Shots or IV, perhaps.

Both of the little guys have always been picky eaters, Xander even more so than Sawyer. New things are not good, and usually end up tossed across the table or onto the floor. Both seem a bit sensitive to smells, or least able to determine if something is out of their range of acceptable foods.

Medicine is no different. If it's not Cherry Tylenol, they're not taking it. And that's really not an overstatement. Berry Motrin, which is actually supposed to be better for small fevers, gets spit out on contact (every single time).

And don't even think about stronger prescription medication. During Sawyer's clinical evaluation about a month ago, the developmental pediatrician noticed he had an ear infection and prescribed some antibiotics. We filled the prescription and watched him spit it out about four different times. We tried hiding it in juice and milk and food, with the same result.

At our recent M&M adventure at the pediatrician, she thought both boys sounded a bit congested with those bad colds that are going around, so she prescribed a decongestant and cough suppressant combination. It's cherry flavored, and it still gets spit out. Last night and today, hidden in juice or food, it doesn't matter. They can smell it a mile away and won't go near it.

And I can't say that I blame them. I can smell it a mile away, too. But still, it would be nice if we could get them to take the things that will help them feel better and not be wasting money that could be better spent on other things. Like Cherry Tylenol, apparently.