At four, Connor is at that fun stage of toddlerhood where he loves to be "helpful," even if his idea of help might not be exactly what yours is. As a boy, he has long enjoyed the fact that his Daddy has tools and works in construction (and even occasionally allows him to tag along for a few hours here and there). Bob the Builder and Handy Manny are favorite shows, though he doesn't get to watch them much since his brothers are not fans.
His most recent birthday gift from us was a Handy Manny tool set, which I wasn't sure about at first. He "wanted" it when we first saw it at the store (and every week after that as well), but he "wanted" just about every toy we saw.
Well, clearly he meant what he said. That little tool set has been one of his favorites lately. He especially loves to pull it out when Daddy is working on something with his real tools. He "helped" nail up the picture frames on the wall (after the fact, since he was away the weekend they were done), he helps "fix" the pool table, and just last night he "helped" fix the sinks upstairs (Daddy was taking them apart to clear out the build-up from too much toothpaste, shaving gel and hair - yucky, I know). And most of the time Daddy is nice enough to ask Connor to get his tools and come help, so off he goes to round them up (they're always scattered all over the house thanks to his brothers' and even his own play at times).
"I be back," he always tells me in that very serious tone that means he's going to do something important. "I getting my tools, and I gonna help Daddy fix something!"
And off he goes . . . happy as can be to be helpful and doing something with Daddy. If only it could last!