Last night, Josh and I got an evening out thanks to Grammy and Pappy. They came over so we could go out to dinner and a movie (the new James Bond - very good, by the way!). All three boys missed their nap, mostly because they weren't in the mood for one. But, Grammy and Pappy are entertaining, so they weren't ready for bed until later than their usual bed time (as in around 9:30 p.m. for the little guys and past 10 p.m. for Connor).
The good news is I had two little boys who were sleeping in this morning. The bad news is I had one who was not (and who then proceeded to wake up one of his brothers and lead him downstairs). But I digress, since I covered that in the previous post.
Fast forward to nap time today. The two little guys revolted and after an hour of "down time" in their room, I got them back up. Connor, my big boy who probably spent every single minute of last night running, moving, and begging one of his grandparents to either watch him do something or play with him, was exhausted. He got put in bed after a rather nasty tantrum (tired will do this to him), and within five minutes the screaming (in protest of being deposited in bed) stopped. Dead silence.
And it lasted for more than 5 hours. It only stopped when I woke him up.
What is it about my children that they clearly do not understand the concept of a nap. You know, a short, much-needed break in the day (for all of us, trust me). An hour or two, really, would be plenty. But no, they either don't nap at all (and fall asleep downstairs about 5 p.m.) or they try to sleep for about 6 hours and then want to stay up all night.
So, guess who's still awake and probably will be for quite some time? The little guys are down for the count, but will of course revert to their early wake up time again tomorrow (sigh). Who knew sleeping could be such a struggle? One of these days they'll wish for that short afternoon siesta - I know I do!