"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
For as long as I can remember, I have always loved that quote. My father-in-law finds it humorous, since I have never yet managed to make it all the way through the book from which it comes (and probably never will, as I've tried several times and just don't enjoy it).
But it speaks to me. It says that there isn't one right path that must be followed, that you can take detours and find your own way. You don't have to be the person everyone wants or expects you to be, you can just be who you are meant to be. Life is about the journey, not about where you go or how quickly you get there. And that seems appropriate . . .
The short answer is yes, Sawyer received his clinical diagnosis for autism yesterday. He is, indeed, quirky and cool. We will get a more detailed report, with recommendations about therapies and such, in a few days.
But those are just the details.
Life is really about the journey, and the journey is his to take. If he wants to wander, to stop and watch the leaves blow or watch the light dance in shadows, then that's what he'll do. We'll help to guide and push him where he wants and needs it, but really, we're just along for the ride . . .