Saturday, September 27, 2008

Want Ketchup with That?

The pickiest of my three picky eaters has discovered a new food group. It's called ketchup. I actually wasn't witness to the discovery, but heard it secondhand from Pappy after they kept the boys overnight for us last week. They had gone out for the requisite trip to Donal's, and apparently Pappy and Aunt Kelly like ketchup with their french fries. My picky little man Xander, who really thinks that chips, yogurt and fruit are the only food groups worth knowing, apparently watched them intently, studying each time they dipped a french fry into their ketchup. Pappy offered him some, and after a bit of hesitation, he started digging right in. Every single french fry had to have ketchup from that point on.

What's so funny is that we can NEVER get him to try anything new. He's usually shaking his head and holding out a stiff arm before you can get within two feet of his plate, much less his mouth. And I got to see him in action a few days ago. We had pizza and french fries for lunch (healthy, I know), and when I gave Connor some ketchup on his plate, Xander was holding out his hand to take the bottle. Clearly he's a fan.

Sawyer, on the other hand, held out the stiff arm. And when I tried to give him a french fry with ketchup already on it, he pushed it back at me with a disgusted look on his face. No ketchup for him, thanks.