After a rather long day (us being off our sleeping schedule and all), the boys have just now gone to bed. I put them down for a nap, not because they truly needed it, but because I needed for them to have it. They were bouncing the walls (and, of course, me), and repeatedly tearing the couch apart every moment I stepped away to do something. Answer the phone, yes. Fix a meal, yes. Get juice, yes. Try to eat something myself, yes. And, you get the idea. I desperately needed the break for my sanity, and they all slept in short order, so maybe they really did need it, too.
And after a long day, late baths and even later bed times, I was ready for my shower and my other break (you know, the down time without the three clinging shadows who follow my every step during the day). I had taken the little guys up for their bath and gotten them into bed, and Josh was in the process of getting Connor his bath and bed. It had been a long day, it was late, and I really wanted my shower. Connor was disappointed, since I always lay down with the boys for a few minutes before bed. I told him to let Daddy help him dressed and in bed tonight, and that I would come in after my shower to say good-night.
It's a good thing I kept my word. My little man was sitting straight up in bed (and appeared to have been so the entire 15 minutes of my shower), covers pulled up to his waist and watching the door intently.
"Mommy!" he said, clearly pleased if his huge grin was any indication. I walked over to his bed and began tucking him in under the covers so I could lay down beside him (I always lay on top of the covers, for easier extraction when it's time to go).
We began our nightly ritual. We talk about what we've done today - the store, McDonald's, our stroller walk after Daddy came home, seeing George and Martina (our friends and neighbors) on our walk, and other random things - tonight it was that he and Daddy had shared some ice cream, some popcorn and some coke while Mommy was filling out more paperwork to send back to school tomorrow. Then we talk about tomorrow, which means school and Miss Julie and Miss Crystal for him, and even Friday, when our good cousins Katie and Josh will return to visit. Then we go through some of his latest accomplishments, which usually involves counting people on his fingers. Tonight we went through every relative I know, and after each completion of all 10 fingers, he wanted to do it all over again!
Even when I'm tired, it's one of the favorite parts of my day. The little guys don't communicate much at all, and usually I think Connor communicates a bit too much, but not at night. That's when I take the time to enjoy him at this age - his words, his smiles, his silly games and his adorable little laugh. The one-on-one time is nice. And tonight, as I backed out of the door, he was still talking. He does that, to try to keep me there a bit longer. I always close the door with the same thing, "Night-Night, Baby, Mommy loves you!" and a little wave. Sometimes he is still talking as I move down the hall.
Not tonight. Tonight, he held up his hand in the same little wave and said "Night-Night, Mommy, love you!" and proceeded to lay right down on his pillow.
And those are the moments, especially after long and hard days with three loud and often demanding little boys, that make me remember why it's wonderful to be Mommy. The cute little wave, the adorable little voice, offering such unconditional love, even on the not-so-good days.