Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Big Day



"Connor go school!" Today was the big day, and we of course had to wake him up to get ready. He's like Mommy - he likes to sleep late! He had a little breakfast, then we loaded up his new Thomas backpack and headed out the door.

We had to get there a little early to fill out some paperwork, to meet the staff and take a mini-tour. He was shy and hesitant at first, clinging to my hand with his and hiding his face in my side. But, as we moved around he got a little more comfortable. I stayed in his classroom (the "Yellow Room") for about 15 minutes, most of it before the other kids came in, while he looked around. We played with a little kitchen set (can you tell we have no girls at our house?), looked at books (about fish and dolphins and whales, of course), and then made our way over to the classroom fish "Bubbles." He looked in the bowl a minute, then said "I like that, Mommy!"

As the other kids streamed in, he looked a bit hesitant again, especially when they started wanting to play with "HIS" toys. But we moved to the back of the classroom where there was a little "sand" (actually white rice) box, and that's where I quietly left him. Once he started playing there with two other little kids, Mommy said a quick "Bye-Bye!" and asked if he liked it at school.

"Okay, Mommy, I like it," he said. "Mommy no leave without Connor in Mommy's truck?" he added, almost as an afterthought.

Um, well. A little white lie never hurt, right?

"Mommy's here. Mommy will be right here to get you when school is over." And, thank goodness, it seemed to be enough.

I actually wasn't leaving just then. I had to go back and finish up the paperwork. And when that was all done, the director and I walked back down the hallway to check on him. I stayed out of view, not wanting to cause the hesitancy and uncertainty to return by his seeing me again. She said he was talking and playing and seemed completely fine. So, we closed the door, and it was time for Mommy to go. He doesn't have to know that Mommy left in her truck, only that she's going to be there at noon when it's time to leave again.

My big boy, he's at his first day of school!