Of all the things that seem difficult with three small children, meal time tends to be the worst. By the time you get them in their seats, their plates prepared and served, and then bring the drinks over, they are already scraping the bottom of the plate and wanting more. You can forget about trying to eat while they do, they still require too much help.
And, I am sure I have only myself to blame, but my children are very picky eaters. And for those of you who really know me, you understand why it is clearly my fault. If it's either green or healthy, I probably don't like it. Well, my boys are not much different. Xander thinks chips are a major food group. Sawyer prefers M&Ms. Connor, well he likes anything lately, except whatever I've decided to fix.
If we're having pizza, I inevitably hear "Connor no like pizza!" in a loud, rather whiny voice. He will like it a few days later, when there is no leftover pizza in the refrigerator and the other two will not be in the mood for it again so soon. And he will whine "Connor want pizza!"
The little guys, with their lack of language abilities, do not give any hints at all about what they may or may not eat. They will either eat what's presented, or toss it across the table. Nice, I know, very good table manners we've taught them.
And now, on top of the dilemma of what to serve, is the fact that all three of them seem to be ravenous lately. The term "growth period" has come to mind a lot, especially since the little guys recovered from their virus last week. That's probably why I don't like to go grocery shopping, and why it seems like we always need to go.
Here is today, by the numbers.
PRE-BREAKFAST
Three. Medium sized bowls of dry cereal (Fruit Loops today) served to each little boy.
Three. Sippy cups of milk, one for each.
BREAKFAST
Twelve. Whole pieces of bread that were made into toast, butter, sliced and then served for breakfast.
One. Side of yogurt (one regular size divided between the three).
One. Banana, peeled and sliced and divided between the three.
Twenty. Approximate number of green seedless grapes, sliced and divided among the three.
Three. Sippy cups of milk, one for each.
LUNCH
One. Frozen pizza, with extra cheese, divided by four (Mommy only had two very small slices).
Forty-Five. Approximate number of "fast food" frozen french fries that were consumed among the three.
One. Entire can of mandarin oranges consumed by three little boys.
Three. Sippy cups of milk, one for each.
SNACK
Twenty. Approximate number of Goldfish crackers consumed by each little boy.
Six. Two additional sippy cups of juice served to each.
Two. Packages of fruit snacks the twins devoured, one apiece (Connor was asleep on the couch at the time).
DINNER
Forty-Five. Number of graham cracker sticks dipped in marshmallow creme that all three boys devoured in under 15 minutes.
Fifteen. Approximate number of Cheetos puffs (Xander's favorite food group) that each boy enjoyed.
One-Half. Can of pineapple chunks that all three boys shared.
Three. Sippy cups of milk, one for each.
LATE DINNER
Two. Full children's sized plates of noodles (flavored with the roast I cooked for the big people dinner) that Connor devoured in less than 10 minutes.
Three. Number of children's sized glasses of iced tea Connor inhaled from a cup without a lid (his specific request).
Who wants to plan meals for tomorrow? Because I'm always running out of ideas for my picky little guys, and it seems like that's pretty much all I do all day long - play, eat, play, eat some more. Welcome to my world . . .
(Oh, and seriously, any ideas for food for picky toddlers really is appreciated!)