Monday, August 11, 2008

Talk Time

The more talkative of the two twins before, when there were words, Xander is by far showing the most progress with speech therapy. He has a few varied sounds, several more than just a few weeks ago, and even a word or two. He's seemed for quite some time to be on the verge of talking, clearly wanting to with all of the sounds he makes and his attempts at verbal sparring (he makes a sound, you make a sound, he makes a sound, etc.)

Sawyer, my stubborn and independent baby, says no thank you to speech. He's perfectly content grabbing Mommy's hand or pushing and pulling on her to get what he wants. He babbles, in the way he has long done, and occasionally you hear words mixed in there, but I doubt very seriously if he knows there in there. Either that, or he's just mocking us in his own way.

But, back to my at-least-attempting to talk baby. Xander's most distinctive word is "go," from his favorite game of "Ready, set, go!" that involves him being jumped off of various pieces of furniture in our house. He's nothing if not a jumper.

He also has a decent "Wha?" (translated "What?") that he throws at you from time to time. Sometimes he wants to know what he's pointing at, other times there seems to be little logic other than maybe he's just proud of himself for saying something we seem to understand.

Another one is "shur," (translated "shirt") which is definitely not as clear, but is at least him attempting to say things that we say.

And, just to keep me on my toes, he's added "MaMa" back to his vocabulary. I honestly thought this was just him making sounds, but I think the little devil knows what he's doing. For the last couple of weeks, when I get ready to leave the little guys in their room for bed at night, he goes through his entire vocabulary of sounds, wanting me to repeat each one ("Ssh!" is still one of my favorites).

Just as I offer my last "Night, night! Love you!" is when my little man decides to toss "MaMa" out for good measure, lifting himself up from his thumb-sucking sleep position and offering that big, mischievous grin.

And he knows, just as I do, that I'm going to stay a little longer and "talk" to him some more.