My oldest son's beach adventure is ending today. They left early this morning to drop off half the family at the airport for their flight home, and then continued on their road trip back north. He'll be home sometime later tonight. And he will not be happy about it.
He apparently was not happy to drop his good cousins (and good play buddies) off at the airport. This knowledge comes secondhand, from Pappy who called to let me know they were on their way home after he talked with Grammy earlier today. I imagine my son's unhappiness will continue as the day progresses and he gets further and further away from his beloved beach and pool.
I can hear him now . . . "No see Mommy and babies! No see Daddy and Buster! Go to the beach! Go to the pool! No go home!"
While I am guessing on this, I am pretty sure this is ridiculously accurate. It's what he does when one of his adventures comes to an end. He begs to prolong it. He whines about going back home. And he pouts, with a pitiful turned out lower lip that makes you feel terrible to have caused it.
Of course, it will end quickly. He will settle back into a routine of tormenting his brothers and talking his mother to death. But I still feel bad for my big boy on his long drive, because he's probably a lot less happy to be traveling today than he was last week at this time. Last week he was headed to a wonderful, exciting place that had lots of water and fun and play buddies. Today he is simply coming home, and Mommy and brothers surely cannot compete with that.