But it is funny, since the office is the last place the boys usually want me to be. If I'm there, it means I'm hiding out from them and getting a few minutes of peace (as much as you can get when only separated by two baby gates in open doorways). At the very least, no one is climbing on me or dragging me to the floor to play. And usually, within minutes of my going (or hiding, depending on your preference) into the office, I have a few boys hanging on said baby gates either trying to get inside (one of them is pretty close to swinging that leg all the way over, and not the one you'd probably think) or trying to get me out.
"Go office, Mommy!" he says again, a little louder and pointing this time as though I hadn't understood him the first time.
You see, the boys have discovered a new game and it's not one Mommy willingly allows when she's in the room (unless her and Daddy happen to be trying to finish their dinner in peace at the nearby table, then it may be tolerated). It's a game where you pull the removable cushions off the sectional (only the two that cover the hide-away bed can be taken off) and throw the pillows (three of them) onto the floor. Then you scoot the leather ottoman over, climb up, then make a ridiculous leap onto the couch, run all the way around the semi-circle it makes (bouncing all the way and even hopping over the empty space where the cushions should be) and then hurling yourself face first onto said cushions on the floor once you reach the end of the line. If a brother happens to be there when you land, so much the better, according to Connor. They scream and you just continue on your next trip around. This, I'm sure, is what he's envisioning as he orders me to the office. And aside from the getting jumped on part, the twins willingly go along too. Sawyer is first to help with pulling the cushions on the floor and Xander is first to jump up and start bouncing. Best game ever, apparently.
But it doesn't work today. Though, I can imagine, there might be some days when I will willingly heed that command. I'll need the peace and the sanity back, but not today. Today all three boys actually took nice, long naps (words simply cannot convey the depth of my gratitude). It was the first time in probably three weeks such a miracle has occurred. As we figure out life with three toddlers and no regular naps, Mommy's sanity is going to be in short supply, and I may have to take what I can get it. But not today . . .
Not while I was in the office anyway. This was later, while I was trying to put the dishes away from lunch and just before the boys much-needed nap time. Good times.