Despite having three toddlers, it seems like we've been out and about a lot so far this summer. And I usually keep an "emergency diaper bag" in the back of my truck, with just the essentials - two pull-ups each, wipes, three juice cups and three individual bottles of apple juice. I know, not really all that small, but like I said, the necessities. It let's me run to the store or "Donal's" without having to get the big bag or wondering if we can make it safely (and cleanly) back home. But the trick to taking our boys out for any extended period of time is to take the huge diaper bag, the one I'm too lazy to fool with most of the time.
Here are the essentials for the big one . . .
Pull-ups and wipes. Yes, unfortunate, but still necessary for at least two of them. And I tend to add a new thing of wipes when the old one is half-gone, just in case.
Gallon Ziploc bags. They serve many purposes, mostly to contain stinky Pull-Ups (I never felt like I could get the little one that comes with most diaper bags to come clean enough), but sometimes for the excessive amount of trash from the food and snack items, and sometimes to contain messy bibs, spoons, or whatever. Absolutely essential, preferably in multiples.
Canned fruit. We have picky toddlers, and even at restaurants where they typically will eat, they don't always. So we keep canned fruit, which is one of their main staples. And the true trick to this is the next item.
Ziploc twist top containers (medium size). One must be empty, to drain the excess fruit juice so it's not a huge mess if you're at a sit-down restaurant and there's no trash can nearby. If fruit remains (rare in our family, unless the boys truly are not hungry), you can add the fruit to the juice to take back home and store in the refrigerator (we drain it at home before storing).
Munchies. For our boys, this includes several things. Again, they're picky. We have fruit snacks in individual packets (where the Ziploc bag will come in handy), Goldfish crackers in another twist-top container (to prevent crushing), and usually some form of dry cereal (another favorite for our boys) in another twist-top container (again to prevent crushing). And finally, Dum-Dum suckers. Yes they're messy, but they might just let you finish your meal in a little peace (and besides, that's what the extra wipes are for).
Bibs, plastic (child-size) silverware, cups. The restaurants sometimes have some of this stuff, but rarely have all. I'd prefer to not be surprised (or have ruined shirts, stabbed fingers using adult tableware, or spilled drinks which often result from using the restaurant's children's cup). And I bought some of the cheaper plastic stuff to keep in the bag, so I don't have to worry about pulling the everyday ones out of the drawer, losing them, or leaving them in the bag.
Apple juice. One of the few things I've been rather good about is not letting the kids have a lot of soda. They're already a little wild and crazy as it is, and caffeine cannot help. It's just easier to bring our own drink most of the time. The kids know it and expect it, so there's no meltdown.
Trinkets. There are three in our diaper bag, one for each little man. All are little key chains - one is a Lightning McQueen car, the other two are travel sunscreens (one for Mommy, one for babies). It's worked for going on three years now. Just watch out when they learn to open the caps and quickly teach them that doing so will result in removal of said trinket.
The Essentials. You know - Children's Tylenol, fingernail clippers, baby wash (trial size) and Chapstick. You never know when any one of these will make life much more bearable.
Did I mention the bag was rather large, because it has to be for three hungry little boys. Do you also see why it's only broken out for lengthy adventures?
And my last trick I will share is that I always (YES, ALWAYS) fill it back up after an adventure - usually at night after the kids are back in bed. Even if I'm tired or cranky or not in the mood, I simply leave it out on the counter and come back to it because chances are that next time I need it I'm going to be in a hurry trying to get three little people ready to go out the door. I usually make a quick check before I leave, but it's much easier to pack it while the kids are sleeping than trying to do it with three little people attached at the hip and probably excited and impatient about going somewhere.
So there it is - my version of the "ultimate" diaper bag. Take it for what it's worth - what works for one mother of three.
Here are the essentials for the big one . . .
Pull-ups and wipes. Yes, unfortunate, but still necessary for at least two of them. And I tend to add a new thing of wipes when the old one is half-gone, just in case.
Gallon Ziploc bags. They serve many purposes, mostly to contain stinky Pull-Ups (I never felt like I could get the little one that comes with most diaper bags to come clean enough), but sometimes for the excessive amount of trash from the food and snack items, and sometimes to contain messy bibs, spoons, or whatever. Absolutely essential, preferably in multiples.
Canned fruit. We have picky toddlers, and even at restaurants where they typically will eat, they don't always. So we keep canned fruit, which is one of their main staples. And the true trick to this is the next item.
Ziploc twist top containers (medium size). One must be empty, to drain the excess fruit juice so it's not a huge mess if you're at a sit-down restaurant and there's no trash can nearby. If fruit remains (rare in our family, unless the boys truly are not hungry), you can add the fruit to the juice to take back home and store in the refrigerator (we drain it at home before storing).
Munchies. For our boys, this includes several things. Again, they're picky. We have fruit snacks in individual packets (where the Ziploc bag will come in handy), Goldfish crackers in another twist-top container (to prevent crushing), and usually some form of dry cereal (another favorite for our boys) in another twist-top container (again to prevent crushing). And finally, Dum-Dum suckers. Yes they're messy, but they might just let you finish your meal in a little peace (and besides, that's what the extra wipes are for).
Bibs, plastic (child-size) silverware, cups. The restaurants sometimes have some of this stuff, but rarely have all. I'd prefer to not be surprised (or have ruined shirts, stabbed fingers using adult tableware, or spilled drinks which often result from using the restaurant's children's cup). And I bought some of the cheaper plastic stuff to keep in the bag, so I don't have to worry about pulling the everyday ones out of the drawer, losing them, or leaving them in the bag.
Apple juice. One of the few things I've been rather good about is not letting the kids have a lot of soda. They're already a little wild and crazy as it is, and caffeine cannot help. It's just easier to bring our own drink most of the time. The kids know it and expect it, so there's no meltdown.
Trinkets. There are three in our diaper bag, one for each little man. All are little key chains - one is a Lightning McQueen car, the other two are travel sunscreens (one for Mommy, one for babies). It's worked for going on three years now. Just watch out when they learn to open the caps and quickly teach them that doing so will result in removal of said trinket.
The Essentials. You know - Children's Tylenol, fingernail clippers, baby wash (trial size) and Chapstick. You never know when any one of these will make life much more bearable.
Did I mention the bag was rather large, because it has to be for three hungry little boys. Do you also see why it's only broken out for lengthy adventures?
And my last trick I will share is that I always (YES, ALWAYS) fill it back up after an adventure - usually at night after the kids are back in bed. Even if I'm tired or cranky or not in the mood, I simply leave it out on the counter and come back to it because chances are that next time I need it I'm going to be in a hurry trying to get three little people ready to go out the door. I usually make a quick check before I leave, but it's much easier to pack it while the kids are sleeping than trying to do it with three little people attached at the hip and probably excited and impatient about going somewhere.
So there it is - my version of the "ultimate" diaper bag. Take it for what it's worth - what works for one mother of three.
And if you're wondering what brought this entry on, it's simply logistics. Thursday afternoon we were at the pool. Friday night we were at Grammy and Pappy's house celebrating Aunt Kelly's birthday. Today we were half way across the state at Great Grandma's house. Tomorrow we're contemplating breakfast out at the old IHOP, since we're back down to two boys from three. Oh, and I was actually refilling the diaper bag from today's adventure, since the little guys just had their bath and went to bed.
Tomorrow we begin all over again . . .