Monday, July 14, 2008

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Today is Monday, which means today is the day I try to clean up the house a little bit (read, I vacuum the floors and also wash the floors). And for some reason, I was feeling rather ambitious this morning and decided to clean underneath the couch in our living room - you know, that really huge sectional that makes up all but one piece of our living room furniture.

My mother will certainly cringe at what was collected in that space. There was a time when I would have done the same, but that time is long since passed - three children and one large and very hairy puppy have joined our family since those days. But, even though I did not cringe, I must admit it was rather disgusting.

There was dry cereal, three different kinds (yogurt Cheerios, Fruit Loops and Trix). There was stale popcorn, and I know it must be stale because I can't even remember the last time we had popcorn at our house. There were pieces of chewed up granola bar (by far the yuckiest item). These must have been tossed from the dining room table, which sits in the near vicinity of the living room, because this a table-only item for my children. And there was hair, massive amounts of red and brown and black dog hair (because our puppy is nothing if not colorful). It was quite a site, let me tell you.

It's obviously a clear sign that I should clean under there more often. But really, how much good is it going to do. There will be more cereal tomorrow morning, because Xander has taken more interest in carrying his bowl around lately than eating it, usually at a rather lopsided angle that leaves a trail of cereal behind him. And the dog hair, well that's constant too. Perhaps I should just stop looking so closely under there as I'm digging out the lost toys at night!