Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Around the Block

Finally, a less humid day in our part of the world. Don't get me wrong, it was still hot outside, but at least not sticky and hot.

This morning, the boys and I even ventured out in the stroller for our long walk, with the boys taking turns walking while I pushed their brothers. Connor enjoys this the most (surprise), and I actually like that the best too, since he's by far the heaviest of the three and removing him makes pushing the stroller that much easier! Xander does pretty well, but he's the one who makes you nervous. At any point he might dart out somewhere a little dangerous, mischievous grin in place, just to test you. Sawyer just follows right along, usually wanting to hold one of my hands too, which kind of makes pushing the big triple stroller a little difficult. But we got out of the house for a change, so it was a nice change of pace.

And this afternoon Josh came home a little earlier than usual to catch up on some office work, which meant I had the chance to take the boys on their one-on-one walks around the block. I'm sure the neighbors think I'm just a little bit crazy, since I keep walking around the same block with a little kid in tow. Half of them probably don't even recognize the difference between the twins (especially today, since Daddy dressed them alike this morning and only their Crocs were different). Regardless, the little guys seem to like it, and I'm always ready to get out of the house a little more.

Sawyer is the slow one, taking his time and often wanting to be carried at least half of the trip. Today he got fascinated with the reflection in people's windows and glass screen doors, so he kept running back and forth in front of the same houses to see the light reflect. I had to pick him up and move him along after a while.

Xander is speedy, running and looking back over his shoulder with a grin to make sure you're chasing. He's also athletic, always catching himself when he trips (which is just as often as the other two). He manages to keep his knees from getting all scraped up, unlike his brothers.

And Connor, poor neglected and abused Connor, had a rough time waiting for his turn today. He cried, kicked, screamed and cried some more, every time I took a brother out the door (never mind that he started walking first today during the stroller ride, he doesn't like to take turns!). When I finally made it back for him, he'd cried himself to sleep on the couch and had to be woken up. And then, halfway into the walk, he tells me he's tired and "No want to walk anymore!" He attempts to get Mommy to carry him, but as that's not happening (he weighs over 40 lbs.), he's content to hold Mommy's hand and trudge on.

We all made it back, had our juice (today we swindled one of Daddy's Gatorade drinks from the garage since Mommy was really thirsty too), and finished out our day with a little playing, a little movie watching, some dinner, and then bath and bed. Just another day in the life . . .