Wednesday, July 9, 2008

And Now There Is Only One

For the time being, anyway. Pappy negotiated an exchange of boys for this afternoon on his lunch date with Daddy, so Connor went with Daddy to be switched out for Xander. Daddy had some errands to run before he came back home, so Xander gets to tag along. And that leaves Sawyer and Mommy at home - though we haven't been here long!

With only one child, I saw an opportunity to get out of the house for the afternoon and took it! I ran one quick errand to the store, which Saw didn't really appreciate though his complaints were minimal. I think he was just happy to be out of the house too! Then we stopped by the requisite McDonald's for lunch. I seriously contemplated trying another (more sit-down) restaurant, but didn't want to push my luck. I have picky toddlers, to say the least. I didn't think I could enjoy trying to pacify even one without my trusty huge diaper bag, and I didn't want to mess with it. So McDonald's it was, and Sawyer was clearly pleased with our choice. An entire chicken nugget Happy Meal later, including some red soda to drink which mercifully managed not to end up on either of our shirts, he was all smiles. We stopped by the little neighborhood park for a while, to swing and slide and ride the see-saw and then swing some more, all until the rain drove us back to the truck. It was a quick, hard shower that ended before we even made it home (not even a five-minute drive).

Add one whimpering and pitiful puppy in, and we decided to take a stroller walk around the block. I would have just taken him on a walk, but Sawyer is a bit on the lazy side on our walks. He will walk a while, but almost always runs in front of me and turns around with his arms up to be carried. It was a bit too hot to carry him most of the way and walk with Buster too!

So there ends our afternoon play date. He's now in the floor happily organizing his toys and having the run of the house for a change. Twin brother will be home later this afternoon with Daddy. Connor will make it home either late tonight or sometime tomorrow - he's guilted Pappy into taking him swimming this afternoon if the weather cooperates.

You see, Pappy had to witness a little meltdown yesterday when he came over to pick up Xander for his afternoon adventure. Connor is almost ALWAYS the one to get to go somewhere. He was VERY disappointed that yesterday was not his day, and when I packed Xander's swimming gear at the last minute (Pappy was going to give cousin Louie a bath in the yard when they got home), he was devastated. He thought they were going to the pool without him. So he gets his adventure today.

Musical children at our house lately, but that's what summer time is for - adventures. We're so lucky that our kids have so many special people in their lives who want to bring them along on their adventures - Grandma and Pa last week, Grammy and Pappy this week, Aunt Kelly and even Uncle Luke on their days off. Connor wants to know who's next, as he's always ready to get his car seat and go! The twins anticipate it less than he does, but seem to enjoy the adventures too!