Monday, May 5, 2008

No Wonder

There are times when we wonder about our two-year old twins who don't talk very much, but with one late talker in the family already (Connor was nearly three before he became really vocal) we're simply taking it in stride. Twins, we are often told, are late to the talking game.

But after today's stroller ride, I think I may have discovered the real reason. Their older brother never gives them a chance. Because, late though he was, once he hit three, he NEVER stopped talking! Today's example:

"Look, it's a car. It's a truck. Another car. Another truck. Van. BIG truck. It's a stick. Another stick. Bird. Two birds. Another bird - three birds! What's that? Airplane. Big airplane. It's smokin'. Another airplane - way up there! Copter! Over there, over there, it's a copter! Car! Another car! I get down now? Go play? I help Mommy push? No shoes, okay. I push later. House! It's Carmen's house! Carmen's cars. Look, Mommy, there's Carmen's cars, and our house, there's our house. Connor's house. Mommy's house. Babies house. I get down now . . . "

And you get the idea. Did you see an opening for Sawyer or Alexander? I didn't. There usually wasn't even an opening for Mommy to answer a question before he was on to the next thing. The wonderful world of a three-year old!