Saturday, April 12, 2008

Quoted & Noted

Welcome to Connor's world. Here are a few of his most frequent and humorous comments this week.

"Fast and careful! Fast and careful!" he chants from his car seat as we drive on the Interstate. This, of course, is another fun phrase we've picked up from Thomas and Friends. It's something the trains say when they're carrying breakable cargo. I won't scare you by going into the exact details, which I know, of the episode.

"Scoo-back!" (translated "Scoot back!"). This one is hilarious. The first time I heard him use it was when we were all playing out the yard with balls. Connor was wanting to kick the soccer ball back and forth, but he wants you to "Scoo-back!" until you back is literally touching the fence. Now it's in common use, especially if he would like you to move out of his way. Nice, right?

"Baby Zachary?" We've met a new friend in the subdivision on our daily walks of late, a three-month old little boy and his mother. Now, we cannot venture out of the house without Connor asking about him. He also thinks every baby we meet in a stroller is said baby.

"Hi guys!" He says this one any time that we meet more than one person. I think Josh used the phrase once to say hello to some neighborhood children we know (family of a customer who bought a house), and Connor has taken it upon himself to say it now to every group of people we meet. It usually gets a chuckle, especially when he repeats it the fourth or fifth time, bending around backward in the stroller to call it after they have long passed!

"Baby Connor." Pause. "Baby Onnor." The child can actually say his own name correctly, and apparently he willfully chooses not to! I had never heard him say "Connor" correctly, until a few days ago when Sawyer and I were looking at the family pictures on our wall. Both twins, and even Connor, like to be held while they point at photos and have you tell them who each person is. I was saying "Baby Connor" and big boy Connor was trailing us and fearing being left out of the game. So he started repeating everything I said, including his very own correct name. But he quickly felt the error, and went right back to "Onnor."

And perhaps my favorite (she says sarcastically) . . .

"What you say?" (translated "What did you say?"). I truly think there may be a "'d" on his "what," but it's so faint you usually don't hear it. Otherwise, he's picking up bad language habits at an early age. And sadly, he's probably learned this one from Mommy. This is her standard phrase to ask when he starts mumbling things in his time out chair. His response is usually "Nuffin!" at those moments, but he's started asking "What you say?" any time that you tell him to do something he doesn't want to do, or worse, when he knows he's doing something wrong he says this and quickly walks away like he's innocent. Good times.