Why is it that every time I take the twins upstairs to go to sleep, even when they are really, really tired, that they feel the need to jump up and down on their bed? Today at nap time, the two of them were practically asleep at the dining room table after lunch. So I quickly changed pull-ups and carried them upstairs, one at a time these days since they're getting quite heavy to tote two at a time, especially when sleepy.
So up I went with Sawyer first, simply because he was closest and Xander has a tendency of running away when you want to pick him up (it's a fun game, apparently). So Sawyer clutches his little arms around my neck and burrows in as I carry him upstairs, clearly tired from a long morning of play and going shopping. But as soon as I try to lay him on the bed, he stands up and starts bouncing with the biggest grin you've ever seen. It lasts just one or two jumps, then he belly flops down and starts stroking the sheets with the palm of his hand, something both twins do when they're tired (must be the soft jersey cotton sheets that are so well worn that they're coming in holes faster than I can fix them).
Anyway, I left him there and went back for Xander, who after a brief game of chase came running into my arms too. He also clutched on for dear life and burrowed into my neck, also clearly tired from a long morning and especially the drive home (driving always seems to make him sleepier than the others). He snuggled for a minute and was ready to go down. And he actually did lay down, for a second, then he too hopped up and started bouncing for a second. He did a butt-flop before rolling over and doing the same little move with his hand on the sheets.
Clearly they must have a sleep ritual that I'm not aware of - bounce first, then lay down and rub your hands on the sheets. And it wouldn't be so funny, except that today was by no means the exception. They do it practically every time I carry them up for their afternoon nap. Not when we go night-night, because then we're getting them dressed after baths and they usually climb into bed themselves rather than be carried there. But whatever it is, it seems to work for them. And for me - I get at least three hours of quiet almost every afternoon, at least from them!