Sunday, February 24, 2008

Knock-Out Roses, Indeed


Though it's a little hard to tell in this photo, two of our once very pretty knock-out rosebushes that line the semi-circle drive in front of our house were destroyed in the icy mess that was this week. It's not what you're thinking, I'm sure. Heavy ice did not snap these branches.

After a long day of working in the cold and wet, Josh came home and pulled his work truck and trailer into the curve of our driveway, as usual. He typically unhooks and locks the trailer and then pulls his truck into our garage. Of course, what my husband didn't realize on this day is that our driveway was a solid sheet of ice at this point. His full-size, four-wheel drive truck and the 16-foot trailer slid about five feet, right over the top of my rosebushes, and then down almost to the sidewalk. Good fun.

Damage done, Josh went ahead and moved the truck and trailer again, this time pulling into the grass of our side yard, and using concrete blocks to help secure it on the slope. Of course, parking was only half the battle. We still had to get back into the house, where our children were happily watching an afternoon movie (or perhaps peering out the front windows and wondering what the heck Mommy and Daddy were doing outside).

When I say solid sheet of ice, I truly mean solid. I took one tentative step onto the driveway to help Josh, and slid completely down into the bushes myself (standing up, thankfully). My Nike shoes were no match for the ice either. So, we eventually took to the grass. There's a small patch of concrete on that side of the house. We had to hold onto a down spout to even cross this, and into the second garage dooor. Whew, safe at last.

And I think somebody owes me some new roses come spring!